In 2021 we began working with Siemens Energy on their project to construct a new substation for National Grid at the Hinkley Connection in Sandford.
The Hinkley Connection Point Substation (HCPS) covers an area of 26000m2 and is part of the new high-voltage electricity infrastructure works along the southwest coast.
Our civils scope includes below ground earthing, ducting, drainage, ancillary foundation, electric fencing, and earthworks across the substation platform.
A particular emphasis of the project has been to protect the existing wildlife and habitats around the site during construction, whilst also enhancing the area so that the wildlife can continue thrive in the new surroundings.
Siemens Energy (the principal contractor on site) commenced work at the start of April 2020. In May 2021 they appointed ACS Construction Group to deliver the civils works for the completion of the project. Here is some of the work which has been completed to date.
- All earthworks around the site with the final topsoil being placed as per the current detailed drawings
- The drainage and foundations for the substation electrical equipment
- Installation of the culvert crossing and head walls for the section of rhyne that passes below the new strawberry line cycle path and re-profiled the section of ryhne that is within the 30m restricted badger area as per the terms in the licence
- Erected the 132kV & 400 kV control buildings and now proceeding with internal fittings and external works
- The foundations and platforms to house the new Supergrid Transformers and other electrical equipment
- The foundations for 132kV electrical equipment and for 400kV gantries
- Installation of the perimeter security fence
- The new section of the strawberry line cycle path and stock proof fencing
- The tarmac road construction and kerbing has been installed
- External works around the 400 control buildings has been completed including the air conditioning bases and door access ramps and all relevant height barriers
- Protection Armco barriers and relevant handrails details have been installed
- The structure grouting has been completed to the 400-substation area and 132 substation grout of structures is expected to be completed early next month
- The external roads and carpark areas have been completed up to the tie in points onto Nye Road and will be completed in our return visit this month.
If you have an energy construction project in the UK which you would like support with, please get in touch.